Skip to main content

Make an information request

Make an information request

The Data Protection Act (DPA) entitles individuals to request access to any personal data that the University is holding about them. This is known as a ‘Subject Access Request’ (SAR). This information explains the process for obtaining your personal data.

All SARs should be made in writing to the Data Protection Officer by emailing The request form can be used and will help to ensure that we have all the information required to deal with your request. Once we receive your request we may wish to confirm your identity. In order to locate the correct information within the University, we may need to ask you to provide more information about the data you require.

The information provided in response to your request will be that which the University holds (subject to any exemptions) at the time we received your request. The Act does allow routine updating and maintenance of the data to continue between the date on which the request is received and the date when the reply is dispatched. This means that the information provided may differ from that which was held at the time your request was received, but only as a result of normal processing.

We may contact third parties mentioned within the file in order to obtain consent to disclose the information. Where consent cannot be obtained or is denied we will consider the reasons and the University’s duty of care to both parties as specified in the DPA in order to decide whether or not to disclose the information. All requests will be dealt with within 30 calendar days of the receipt of the valid request (including your ID, relevant information and response to any clarification). The information will be dispatched to you as soon as the above process is complete. In some exceptional circumstances The University may extend the duration of the process up to 90 days, where this is the case it will be communicated clearly to you.

Download Data Subject Request Form

FOI gives everyone both from within and outside of the University a right of access to recorded information held by the University. Individuals have the right to be told whether or not the information is held by the University and if it is to have the information communicated to them. This includes minutes from meetings, planning information, reports etc. Anyone can request access to this information, the request must be made in a written form (email, letter) and can be given/addressed to any member of staff at the University. The requester does not need to explain why they want the information, it is enough to ask for the information and provide a name and contact details to which to provide the information.

If the information you require is not listed in our Publication Scheme, Guide to Information or website please contact the University in writing. To help us manage your request please ensure that you include a description of the information you require and an address to which we can provide the information.

All FOIs must be made in writing to the Information Governance Team. The University has 20 working days in which to deal with the request.

It is important to note that FOI does not mean that all information must be provided in response to a request, there are reasons including Data Protection, Confidentiality and Commercial Interests that may exempt the information for being provided. A full list of exemptions can be found in the more detailed information.

For more information about the Freedom of Information Act read our summary of the FoI Act or link to our FOI pages.

*EIR - Environmental Information Regulations

Some information can be provided to students without going through the Subject Access Request process and details are available from Student Administration.

Access to environmental information is provided through the Environmental Information Regulations. Please submit requests as described under FOI above and your request will be dealt with accordingly.

You may wish to refer to the University's and Data Protection and Freedom of Information: Complaints Procedure.

If you have any enquiries about any requests for information under Data Protection, Freedom of Information or Environmental Information Regulations please contact

If you require more information about these laws, or are unhappy with the way the University has dealt with your request please contact:

The Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Accessing information

The University has adopted the Model Publication Scheme published by the Information Commissioner's Office. The following information will help you to locate information from the BetFiery and help to ensure that your request is dealt with as quickly and efficiently as possible.